How to prepare for a water shortage in 2022 — Preparing for the water crisis
scouted independently selects products. If you buy something from our posts, we may earn a small commission.
Recent headlines surrounding the Mississippi water crisis have been both sad and quite anxiety-provoking. After all, clean water is essential for survival. Frankly, I feel like the world could end any day, and I’ll be honest, it scares me to see the brutal and increasingly damaging impact of climate change in real time. . I just connected the dots as we live in the year The Jetsons have taken place but are getting closer and closer to living in a complete Mad Max world.
With so many severe droughts across the world right now, cities are going days without drinking water due to water shortages, and new information that apparently all rainwater on Earth is no longer safe to drink at Because of the PFAS (aka Teflon) chemicals, it’s only natural to feel panicked about the future – and the present, for that matter.
Our tap water often contains dirt, chemicals, harsh minerals and many other impurities that taste bad and can be dangerous to drink regularly. Some contaminants can potentially endanger our health, especially when the water contains microscopic organisms and bacteria. Filtering our water can help purify it, remove these contaminants, and make it drinkable like our great-grandparents could before privatized companies and our elected government ruined it!
In an attempt to ease my climate change-induced anxiety, I researched how to prepare for a water shortage (and other emergencies) and the best ways to purify the water I drink and prepare to water shortages. See below for some of my findings.
Start by testing your water:
Fortunately, there is a relatively inexpensive way to test your water supply. This 17-in-1 test kit is highly recommended by Amazon users for its accuracy in telling you if your drinking water is rich in anything other than these essential elements H – 2 – and O. Depending on your results, I would say you can now start buying exactly the type of filter you need.
Varify Premium 17 in 1 Drinking Water Test Kit
Water quality analysis kit: analysis of city water or well water
Watersafe Drinking Water Test Kit for Well and Tap Water
Purify your water
According to the EPA, here are the general categories of drinking water contaminants:
- Physical contaminants primarily affect the appearance and physical properties of water. Some examples are sediment, sand, dirt, or other organic matter suspended in water due to soil erosion.
- Chemical contaminants are elements or compounds found in water. This type of contamination can be of natural origin (doubtful) or of human origin (probable). Some examples include nitrogen, bleach, salts, pesticides, metals and toxins – now imagine drinking this. Yum!
- Biological contaminants are real living organisms in water. These can also be called microbes. Some examples of biological or microbial contaminants include bacteria, protozoa, viruses, and parasites.
- Radiological contaminants are a type of chemical element that has an unbalanced number of protons and neutrons which results in unstable atoms that can emit ionizing radiation, which is not ideal for daily consumption, it is the least that we can say. Some examples include cesium, plutonium and uranium. Yeah, no thanks!
You can opt for a premium water filter pitcher (a little more expensive than your average Brita, but more effective) or install an on-tap or countertop filtration system (a better bet to ensure clean water is safe to drink). purer.)
Aquagear Water Filter Pitcher
PUR PLUS Faucet Mount Water Filtration System
AquaTru Smart Countertop Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration System
Water Crisis Emergency Preparedness
I may not be a complete doomsday prepper, but I’m definitely in the camp that believes in preparing for emergencies and natural disasters. It would be advisable to store purified water in your house just for emergencies. Here are some helpful tips for long-term water storage, as well as emergency water supplies to store, according to the CDC.
- Label the container as “drinking water” and include the date of storage
- Replace stored water every six months.
- Keep stored water in a cool temperature place (50-70°F).
- Do not store water containers in direct sunlight.
- Do not store water containers in areas where toxic substances, such as gasoline or pesticides, are stored.
Emergency Water Storage 5 Gallon Water Tanks
Water Purification Jerrycan Survival Filtration System
Water purification tablets for water treatment disinfection
do not forget to check out our coupon site to find more health and fitness deals, including Vitacost coupons, Dick’s Sporting Goods Coupons, Walmart couponsand Macy’s coupons.